Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Writing with the Hibby Jibbies

Dear 30-Year-Old-Me,

The past two weeks,  I had been writing.  What I have written gives me the hibby jibbies.  The hair on my neck and my arms seem to stand on end from the writing that I do.

I am actually preparing to launch a blog. It is a self help blog.  Thing is - when I started writing instructions to what I thought would be my readers,  I realized that it's hard for me to give any instructions.

So I decided to call upon my inspiration and ask him to help me out.  There is a writer named Elizabeth Gilbert ( she wrote Eat, Pray, Love ).  She spoke in a TED Talk and she posited that the post-modern view of a writer being a tortured soul who needs to give birth to their creation is a departure from the ancient point of view of creation.  Creation is not the sole product of the self.  Creators partner with a spirit which the Greeks call Daemon and the Romans call the Genius.  So you see - in the ancient times,  a Genius is the inspiration who brings forth the creation.  In our times,  Genius is the person who brings forth the creation.  Imagine how big of a responsibility it is for the creator - and to be honest - any creative work is too much for a person to bear the responsibility to bring it forth.

So I called on to my Genius and asked for her help.

Then a voice seems to have spoken to me - and said - why don't you write about the conversations that you have with yourself when you face the difficult decisions in your life?

I played around with the voice - and said - sure - why not?   What am I going to lose by doing that?

Uhmm ... a lot?   You know what I mean.  The voices in our head can be evil.  I would never dare let anyone hear what I say to myself.

That voice is selfish,  jealous,  impatient,  judgmental.   I don't want people to see me in that  light.

But then --- they don't see me in that light.  Most people actually see me as the mild mannered one.

The voice said - that I should write about it because most people would want to find the courage to actually squash those voices in their head.

Ok then --- so write I did.

I have written three articles so far - and they give me the hibby jibbies.   It's inspired writing.  At least - if I see this in a book somewhere - I will buy the book.

I wish I will have the courage to publish it.

With Much Love,

The forty year old you

No comments:

Post a Comment