Monday, September 8, 2014

How I Quit Smoking

Dear 30 Year Old Me,

Smoking was the habit that I had a hard time quitting.  I'm happy to report that in the end - I actually quit it.  I have not smoked for five years now.  To be honest - I've quit and picked up the habit for three times already in my lifetime.  I'm pretty sure - that this time it will stick.  Why?  I have actually reached that part of my life where the supposed benefit of smoking is already irrelevant.

I know you will scour the internet searching for nuggets of wisdom in your own quest for kicking the habit.  Different quitters have different techniques.  I'm sharing the techniques that worked for me:

1.  State the Reason for Quitting

When I started to think about quitting --- I listed down the many reasons why I would like to quit.  I was concerned about my health - so that's part of the list.  I remember being able to run for miles or play badminton without losing my breath when I wasn't smoking.  When I picked up the habit - doing any athletic activity is a struggle.   I also thought about my dogs - whose health and well being are very important to me.  They live a fraction of our lifetime.  Thinking of how they will suffer through second hand smoke in their lifetime was a pretty compelling argument to kick the habit.

Those were important reasons - but for me the most immediate reason why I wanted to quit is the smoker's hack that goes with smoking.  Every morning when I wake up and go to the shower --- I had phlegm in my throat that I had to expel  It's yucky, disgusting and INCONVENIENT.   For me - Convenience is actually something that I value - so if I had to get up in the morning going through this hacking - then I'd rather quit smoking.

2.  Just Quit - Cold Turkey

The three times that I actually quit smoking ( or stopped smoking long term ) - I just quit - cold turkey.  This last time wasn't different.   I started with day 1 - not picking up a stick of cigarette.  That 1 day turned into 2 days.  Then it became three - then a week - then a month - then a year.

The times that I actually tried to quit by cutting down wasn't that successful.  I used to smoke a pack and a half a day.  I said - I'll try to cut down gradually.   What I found is that after going down to a pack --- I will lose count and before I know it - I will be back to a pack and a half a day.

When I quit cold turkey --- the craving can be really strong.  But you know what?  The craving actually just stays for under a minute.  A good way to deal with this craving - is the next item that I will be talking about.

3.  When you Feel the Craving - Just Breathe

Cravings are very difficult to deal with.  You feel antsy.  You're mouth waters ( similar to my experience of seeing a New York Cheesecake in the pastry stand at Starbucks ).  What helps in dealing with the cravings is breathing - and focusing on one's breathing.   Breath in - count 1 - breath out - count 2.  Repeat that - until you feel that the craving is all gone.   For me it lasts from 10 seconds to sometimes a full two minutes before the craving goes away.

4.  Stay Away from people or situations that lead you to pick up the stick

My best friend smokes as heavily as I did.  She lived in the same house that I did.  We also worked for the same company.  So this advice was not easy to follow even for me.  So what I had to do to stay away is to make sure that I'm not in the same room during the first couple of weeks of my quitting routine whenever she smokes.   I also stopped hanging out with her during her smoking break.  She also understood that I was trying to quit - so she stopped asking me to go with her during those breaks.

Smoking - is a social habit for me.  I got a lot of good friends from hanging out with other people who smoke.  So being able to stay away from them - also removes the positive reinforcement that I get from smoking.  I realized - I can still hang out with them - even without joining them for their smoking break.

5.  Pick up a Healthy Habit that replaces Smoking

Since I quit smoking -- I found that I can actually breathe a lot better.  I also noticed that I can do physical activities with ease.   So I started to pick up my exercise routine.  Instead of doing it for just once a week,  I noticed that I can actually do it regularly ( at least every other day ).

These are the techniques that worked for me.  As I said - some people may not actually do the same things that I did to kick the habit.   Note that it's not easy - but once you get beyond a day of not smoking --- it would be good to think "I've made it through one day --- what's another day of being without a cigarette?".   You can repeat that to yourself everyday and soon enough you will find that you don't even have to think about smoking at all.

With Much Love,

The 40 Year Old You

No comments:

Post a Comment